Sunday, July 20, 2008

He Whom the Sun Has Set Free

The main piece I love about my spiritual walk over the last five years has been my new relationship with liberation. There is nothing like being free to think for oneself without fear of reprisal. It is not a freedom I take lightly or for granted.

Once I began to fully recognize what freedom in Christ looked like, my faith grew stronger and I drew nearer to God. I realized - with all its good intentions - that traditional Christianity and its interpretation by some served as a form of spiritual and psychological enslavement. I realized I lived my life in a perpetual quest to meet standards not intended for me to succeed, rather to keep me controlled by a doctrine and a mindset that I would never really be good enough and that I must always strive for that brass ring of perfection in spite of the probability of never reaching it until I died. The weight of such a belief system is killing many spiritually, psychologically and physically everyday. I believe it accounts for the high rates of physical and mental illness in our society.

"Lord, make my life a function of spiritual truth." Herein lies the prayer that both changed my life and saved my life.

Not long ago, I read where Oprah was being heavily criticized because she dare shared her belief that there can't be only one way to God. Over the past few years I have wrestled with this very notion.

I have come to learn and accept that God is available to all who diligently seek Him. It's alright to seek Him on your own. God is capable or revealing truths that may be beyond conventional teaching. Yet, it takes tremendous courage and faith to seek God on this level.

In essence, I made a decision - one that brings me great peace - that I will not allow the interpretations of others to define God for my life. The evidence for a fulfilling life has become too powerful. I can't go back to a philosophy that served as the source of much pain and hypocrisy.

I choose life. I choose truth. I choose the open pathway to freedom in the Lord that enables me to live an authentic spirit-filled life for all aspects of my life.

The best is yet to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. As someone who has come to some new realizations about her Christianity, I really appreciate the fact that you have shared parts of your journey and your truth.

I am a seminary student and I have learned some things that challenged my traditional Christian beliefs and I believe that these things have allowed me to experience a freedom that I had not known before. On the other hand, it has made me wonder about where I fit in. I belong to a mainline African American denomination and some of what I believe now would not fly in my religious tradition. Even though this is true, I wouldn't trade this most recent part of my journey for anything. I feel like I've been set free. I've put some of the traditions I've been raised with in a box on a shelf and it feels really good.

I haven't lost Jesus. I found Him in a way that I had not known Him. I still believe He is the almighty Son of God - God in the flesh. Now, I'm just free to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

Please keep sharing your experiences. You aren't alone and I'm glad to know that I'm not alone either.

Peace and blessings to you.

bee bee

Content Black Woman said...

Hi Bee Bee:

Your comment touched me so. I wish you all the best in your spiritual journey. The price can be very high sometimes, but we must demonstrate just how much we trust God in the most challenging of circumstances.

I will pray for your continued strength in your walk.

Thank you for the reassurance.

Peace always.